Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dulu Semua Orang Kata Chelsea Tak Leh Menang Liga Tapi Sekarang....




I'm not a good speaker. I'm gonna start this writing with that five words. But a good friend of mine, Zainol Izuddin (bukan nama sebenar) said to me that my words during the Public Speaking Competition of Medicophilic Month (MeM) touched his heart and recommend me to share it. I was reluctant at that time. "Nanti orang kate aku gile bayang" I said. But Jenol (bukan nama sebenar) reminds me again what I had said during my speech (read the speech). Then Lah Fahmi (sayapemalu) sarcastically spoke to me "ko tinggalkan semangat ko atas pentas eh?". Needless to say, I was strucked down. Then I realised that the time has come for us to walk our talk. Because talk isn't cheap. Talk have it's worth. And it's up to you to make your words worthful.

p/s : I tried to make this text speech to be as understandable as possible to readers who didn't watch it. So, that explains the star (*) and the Italic word
p/s (p/s) : specially dedicated to those of you who fell down in the recent practical exam. Yeah,yeah it was casein and starch, I knew I was wrong.

Final Stage of Public Speaking Competition of MeM
Text Speech : The Success of Failure

Do you remember your first public speaking competition? Can you capture the feelings and emotions that went through you at that time? The anxiety, the rush of adrenaline, the sweating palm, the crowds, and the speech that you still didn't memorised completely. But still..*relax, inhale* you take a deep breath. You convince yourself that everything will be okay, that God is with you, and that the crowd will love you. *change tone*..But then, from the deepest chamber of your brain, that deafening voice of doubt ; “Yeah, that's a great idea Ahmad but what if you.....fall down..”.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*recumbent position* What do you do when you fall? Do you jump right up hoping no one will notice? Or maybe, do some push-ups hoping that people won't take you seriously? Are you more concern with what others would think?...than what you can get from this fall. What must you do when you fall ?..This is the question that we will find out in my speech, The Success of Failure. But first...is this tahi cicak? *gets up

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim. Thank you to the chairperson, judges, my fellow friends and to the people way in the back. Assalamualaikum to all of you and a very good evening

Ikhwah and Akhawat
Do you think I stayed down...to long? Have you stayed down...to long? Well I had. It was an old story actually. I still remember, I was 13 years old at that time. Fresh from primary school, all geared up for the excitements of high school. So, I decided to participate in a public speaking competition. I was given 6 minute to speak and I ended it in 2 minute. Without saying a word. *turn to a grieving tone, sobbing if possible..I was scared...scared of what other people woud think, scared if I say the wrong words, scared if people would think that I look like Indian (?!). I was so scared that it took me 5 years to ever talk in front of people again. Because you see, nowhere in any human history, an age where men are so obsessed with success. *fast talk*..These days, we got predictive statistics, key performance indexes, stock analysis, customer feedbacks, all for the sake of evaluating success. We even have judges, see *pointing to judges. People have always equate success with youth, energy, confidence, being top of the league, and out-performing others. *slow talk* But, we instill this idea too much until we left no room for failure. People are , in truth, dying for success...1 person commit suicide every 17 seconds, my friend. WHO said that 90% of the cases are caused by depression. Depress of what? Depress of what others would think, afraid of losing respect from people, feeling that he hasn't live up to other's expectations. You know, these are actually reasons unrelated to you at all. That is why the first step to recover from failure is to ignore what others say to you. Because you know, there are people outside who doesn't even know you, who will make fun of you, and would like to see you fall. But you have got to realise that in the end, they are just another ...*kick the stage !!(didn't plan to, actually)...obstacle for you to dealt with.

Failure is not an unforgivable sin. In fact, failure help us to open the door to the biggest room in the world ; the room for improvement. There is always a way to overcome our shortcomings. Nevertheless, if you continue to regard failure as a deadend, then you are getting it. COME ON !! Be optimists of your chances, be like Dr. Robert Goddard, a scientist in the 20's, who had this ridiculous idea of flying a device to reach the stars above. He experiments hundreds of time, he calculate and recalculate his equation and when the time comes, he fired up his rocket...pheww *raise hand imitating rocket launching*!!!! His rocket was launched at Auburn, Alabama...*lowers hand imitate landing* and landed on Auburn, Alabama ....The rocket only flew 41 feet !! To add salt, the newspaper's headline on the next day, reads “Moon rocket misses target by 238,799 and a ½ mile”. I don't even know how much is that in kilometer. But what did Dr Goddard thought of his failure? He considers it as a “valuable negative information”. As it turned out, Dr Goddard's invention became the reason we landed on moon. You see, the same thing happened to all other scientist !! Benjamin Franklin commenting on his setbacks, “I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong”. While Thomas Edison said, “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. All I need is one”. These great scientists who invent lightbulbs, spectacles and rockets are not being denial of their failure, instead, far from it, they embrace their failure. They follow the second step of transforming your failure into a success, which is positive thinking. They reform their mindset toward failure. Instead of saying “I had failed”, they said “I have not tried enough”. To them, each unsuccessful effort is a step towards a definite success.

But does the steps to success stops there? You see, all of us, we have a goal in our life. A destination. But what did we do? We go back and forth, we suspend , we procrastinate. *start to go back and forth* “When I have more time, when I have more money, when I finish study, when I became doctor, that's what I will do *stop abruptly*..” But we never take, the first..step...*pause*...I took 5 years to finish my step..that final step which is turning my failure into a lesson. I took a long time to learn from it frankly. But now that I have been here, on this stage, and looking back, I am proud that I finally took that next step. Because you see, I wasn't given the talent to talk.(*imitating British accent) “Bloody Hell, I can't even speak in British accent”. But I was given an opportunity and I take it !! *sigh*..So were you!..what is your next step?..TAKE IT!!..I did not want to look back in my life and say, “ You know, I never tried that public speaking competition but at least I died without being humiliated, LOL *frown* !!”....If that sir, is how you want to live your life, then, I say you are too busy living in your shadows.

Ikhwah and Akhawat
Here me now, (*change into a determine tone) I'm gonna use every opportunity that my God gives to me because my faith teaches me that I am given youth before feeble (old age), health before illness, prosperity before poverty, leisure before occupation, and life before death !!!..*gentle tone*...because Islam teaches US that there is such thing as being too late.... My friends from Cairo University, this is our moment. My brothers and sisters from Ain Shams, Azhar, Zaqaziq, Tanta, and Mansoura, our moment is NOW !!! . Chase your dreams, ignore the scorns and thorns that other people threw at us, believe in thyself, pursue that shining light of triumph waiting us at the end of the journey and even if you fall along the road....*fell down.....notice that you still made progress. Now, that is the successful failure !

10 comments:

  1. obamad... caya lah...

    ReplyDelete
  2. bila diorang nk upload vidio public speaking ko?

    T.T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Final Stage of Public Speaking Competition of MeM
    (ni msti xbce dlu ni?) =.=''

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice speech Ahmad,..tp kalau bole tgok vid mesti lg best..xkuar lg k??..Succes from failure..macam mne kte nak merasakn manisnya kejayaan kalau bl0m merasakn pahitnya kegagaln..

    ReplyDelete
  5. ak dah agak dia nk wat mcm drama king..anyway, congrats obamad

    ReplyDelete
  6. an awsome speech for a public speakg comp i guess,,not too lame n not too borink like the usual text for compt..
    but then,,the 'dulu semua org kata chelsea xleh menang liga tp sekarang.." title,,make me wanna say...bOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

    come'on,,man u kot!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. living in people perspections...
    hmm..very true..very true indeed...

    ReplyDelete